A firm believer in a Growth mindset

I thought I'd share more about myself in connection to my "introduction to 24" blog post as they connect very well.

Let me start out by saying I am a firm believer in having a growth mindset. My parents have always told me that one cannot grow inside their comfort zones. I said great I am moving to Texas for school, a place I've never been, with zero family members. They didn't see that one coming. During my freshman year of Baylor, I decided to partake in the hardest and oldest internship in the nation with Southwestern Advantage. Students in the program relocate to another part of the country where they've never been. They learn how to run their own business going door to door selling educational books apps, and websites to families. Students work 13-14 hours/day, 6 days/week. Students typically sit down with 30 families a day where out of the 30 only 2-3 will buy something. It is a grueling program, where it tests and heightens your EQ every day. Perseverance is a must, learning how to deal with rejection is a must, and figuring out how to best communicate with people from different socio-economic backgrounds comes with time. I did this program for 5 summers. It has been by far the hardest thing I've ever done and the best decision I've ever made.  I've made incredible friends including my roommate Albert Tran. I am who I am today because of it and wouldn't trade all the hardness of it for anything. As a result, it has caused me to be hungry for growth. I am currently training for my first ever half marathon in April! I am also signed up for a full marathon in December! If you're still living the best place to live is outside of your comfort zones that's my motto anyway.




Here is a link to my bookman page where you can see more about the program and see all the families I've been able to help throughout my summers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to 24

Week 9 Story: Diary: River flows in Me